Frequently Asked Questions?
1. What is a Building Consent?
2. Why do I need a Building Consent?
3. Do all Builders have the same qualifications?
4. At what stage do I get a Builder involved?
Some builders will only see you once you have drawn plans. At Roger Ramsey Building we prefer to become involved in discussions as soon as possible. Why? By understanding all the costing, we can often save you a lot of money by assisting on design and materials to help you stay within your budget. To book a free consultation with us, just complete our online Project Questionnaire.
5. Do I get a Guarantee?
Roger Ramsey Building provides you with a full 730 day Guarantee against any defects in workmanship after completion of the job, plus we also offer you the Master Builders Guarantee. Click the link for further details of our full ‘Platinum Guarantee’.
6. How do I determine my budget?
7. How can I keep within my budget?
8. Why do some builders cost more than others?
Not all builders are created equal.
Things to consider when choosing your builder are:
- How many years experience do they have?
- Do they use quality materials
- Are they specialists in the type of work you would like done
- Are they a Licensed Building Practioner (LBP)
- Do they offer a Guarantee
9. What happens if there are delays?
At Roger Ramsey Building we pride ourselves on our professional commitment and integrity and in particular, in completing a project on time.
10. What are the different contract options available?
There are four common types of contract options available. Everyone has specific needs so we are able to help you find a contract that suits you.
- Full Contract – We will provide you with a written ‘fixed price’ quote to complete your project from start to finish. With a full contract we will organise everything from sub contractors to building inspections through to obtaining your final code of compliance. This allows your to be involved without the pressure or stress of hiring and supervising sub contractors or organising the right people to be on site at the right time. You know exactly what your project will cost and any overruns are our problem, not yours.
- Cost Reimbursement (Charge up) – The cost of materials plus a builders margin. It’s like a ‘pay as you go’. There are no guarantees on costs but it eliminates the ‘risk factor’ by the builder which is built into a fixed price contract. It gives you the flexibility to design and change things as you go without a time consuming paper trail and it will give you a true reflection of the job cost of your project. We still organise the sub contractors and manage your project
- Labour Only Contract – This contract is to supply the builders labour only for your project. For labour only you will need to hire all the sub contractors yourself and also hire a separate Project Manager unless you have the time and experience to manage the entire project yourself. This type of contract can be extremely time consuming, expensive and very stressful unless you hire a separate Project Manager or pay the Builder to do separate project management work
- Project Management – A Project Manager is paid a set fee to manage, organise and oversee the entire building project for you. Your Project Manager will arrange for all the materials to be delivered on site at the appropriate time and also organise all the sub contractors when they are required
11. What is the first step?
If you’re in the very early stages of exploring the idea of building or renovating, our free guide is just what you need.
It’s called The 10 Critical Steps You Need to Know Before Beginning Your Building Project. Enter your email to download it now: